Galetta WI Tweedsmuir Community History
- Tweedsmuir Community History Collections (Stoney Creek, ON), 1965
- Galetta Women's Institute, Creator
- Type d'élément
- Galetta WI Tweedsmuir Community History - Volume 1 of 1
Galetta is a hamlet just outside of Arnprior in Fitzroy Township. Earlier names were Mohr’s Corners and Hubbell’s Falls. The WI branch was organized in 1910, inactive between 1924 and 1932, and disbanded in 1976. Some families mentioned are Austin, Bidgood, Burr, Carss, Chown, Costello, Dickson, Forbes, Gardiner, Halpenny, Hemphill, Heneahan, Herrick, Hubbell, Hunt, Jeffries, Kennedy, MacHardy, Major, Maloof, Mohr, Montfort, Moran, Muldoon, Riddell, Ritchie, Sinclair, Smith, Stanton, Steen, Story, Tait, and Wilson. Besides information concerning the branch and its activities, the book contains the following information:
- History of early settlement, including a lost needle.
- War veteran information, including the Boer War
- Farm, house, and family histories
- History of Mohr’s Corners School (S.S.#6)
- History of St. Augustine’s Church
- Some information on businesses including hotels, Canada Cooperage Co., Galetta Electric Light & Power Co., and milk skimming station
- Some information on Kingdon Mining & Smelting Co.
- Extensive description of Ephraim’s House, including early house plans.
- Mention of Indian settlement location (page 26)
- Yearly highlights of events from 1907 to 1935
- Federated Women's Institutes of Ontario (FWIO)
- Date de l'original
- Langage de l'élément
- Couverture géographique
Latitude: 45.41681 Longitude: -76.24938
- Emplacement d'original
- Arnprior & McNab/Braeside Archives
- Conditions d'utilisation
- For commercial use, please contact copyright holder for permission and details
- Notes de reproduction
- Contact the holder of the original.
- Federated Women's Institutes of OntarioCourriel
Adresse postale d'agence552 Ridge Road
Stoney Creek, ON L8J 2Y6