Braeside WI Tweedsmuir Community History - Volume 1
- Tweedsmuir Community History Collections (Stoney Creek, ON), [ca. 1959]-[ca. 1983]
- Braeside Women's Institute, Creator
- Type d'élément
- Volume 1 of 4. Contains primarily newspaper clippings and photographs pertaining to Braeside WI and Braeside community, 1965-1975
Braeside (named for Scottish word for hill – “brae”) is situated on the Ottawa River, up-river (west) from Arnprior, Ontario. All 4 volumes provide information on Braeside and the Braeside WI from the 1860’s - 1980’s.
Brief Summary of Contents:
1. History of settlement including maps, newspaper articles and hand written accounts.
2. History of Braeside WI, including community involvement, District & Provincial activities and celebrations, Sister WI (England) correspondence, etc.
3. School Projects (essays) sponsored by WI in 1964 (Book 2)
4. Common surnames mentioned: Armstrong, Barker, Beattie, Brennan, Burton, Carmichael, Coleman, Davis, deRenzy, Ferguson, Findlay, Foster, Fulton, Gillies, Gilmour, Graham, Hamilton, Kirby, MacDiarmid, MacDonald, MacLean, McKinnon, McNab, Merrifield, Miller, Mullen, Neilson, Robertson, Russell, Sereney, Shaw, Steele, Usborne and others
5. Histories of businesses: Gillies Bros Ltd, Mills, Railroad, General Stores, Butcher Shops, Blacksmiths, Barber Shop, Restaurants, and others
6. Community: Churches, Schools, Recreation Association, Sports teams, Men in Active Service (WW I, WW II, Korean War), Orange Lodge, and others
7. Many excellent photos.
- The Volume entitled “History of the Village” has a Table of Contents [page 3], although the numbering is slightly off.
Braeside Tweedsmuir Curator, 1959-1965: Mrs. Forrest Merrifield; Committee: Mrs. James Beattie and Mrs. Phil Armstrong
Note about the wooden cover, from p. 3, Volume 1:
"Braeside has only one industry, Gillies Bros. Lumber Mill.
Therefore, it was decided by the curator, Mrs. Forrest Merrifield and her committee, Mrs. Phil Armstrong and Mrs. James Beattie, that a cover of wood was the most appropriate for the village Tweedsmuir History.
Mr. Erwin Graham, a carpenter in the village and an employee of Gillies Bros., donated the wood and made the cover in June, 1964.
Braeside Women's Institute bought the binder fixtures.
Ray Rouselle of Arnprior did the lettering and painting on the cover."
- Federated Women's Institutes of Ontario (FWIO)
- Date de l'original
- [ca. 1959]-[ca. 1983]
- Langage de l'élément
- Couverture géographique
Latitude: 45.46681 Longitude: -76.39939
- Emplacement d'original
- Arnprior & McNab/Braeside Archives
- Conditions d'utilisation
- For commercial use, please contact copyright holder for permission and details
- Notes de reproduction
- Contact the holder of the original.
- Federated Women's Institutes of OntarioCourriel
Adresse postale d'agence552 Ridge Road
Stoney Creek, ON L8J 2Y6